Applications using JACK
If you know of any other applications that use Jack that are not listed here please send an email to < jackaudio "at" goodmusic "dot" ca > and we'll include it! If you are the author of an application, please include a brief description and under which heading you'd like your app listed. Thanks!
Audio File Editors
- Audacity is a cross-platform multitrack audio editor. Please read this post for instructions on how to get Jackaudio and Audacity working together.
- gi_editor is a software editor for the Juno Gi, based on Roland's midi specification.
- Gnusound is a multitrack sound editor for GNOME 1 and 2.
- Marlin is a sample editor.
- mhWaveEdit a graphical audio editor.
- ReZound a graphical audio editor. Version 0.7.0 or above.
- sauditor a simple sample auditor.
- snd a sound editor.
- snd-ls is a distribution of Bill Schottstaedt's sound editor SND. Its target are people that don't know scheme very well, and don't want to spend too much time configuring Snd.
- Swami is an advanced instrument editor for MIDI music composition and a software synthesizer frontend.
- Aj-snapshot is a small program that can be used to make snapshots of the connections made between JACK and/or ALSA clients. It is also capable of running in the background, restoring connections while clients and ports appear.
- ALSA Patch Bay
- gjacktransport is a standalone application that provides access to the JACK transport mechanism via a dynamic graphical slider.
- njconnect is a curses Jack connection manager, based on naconnect by Nedko Arnaudov.
- pyjack is a Python module which provides an interface to Jack.
- qjackctl is the most popular graphical control application.
- DJPlay a dual player designed for the live DJ.
- Mixxx a digital DJ system, for wave, ogg and mp3 files.
- xwax is open-source vinyl emulation software for Linux.
- arcangel is a Jack effect and LADSPA plugin for arctan distortion.
- Bristol Synthesizer Emulator application. The latest version uses Jack.
- BruteFIR a software convolution engine.
- CP-GFX Guitar effects processor.
- creox a realtime sound processor.
- DSSI is an API for audio processing plugins, particularly useful for software synthesis plugins with user interfaces.
- Ecamegapedal a real-time effect processor. Version 0.4.0 or above.
- freqtweak a frequency domain FX box. This is one of the coolest FX boxes you may ever use.
- Guitarix is a simple Linux amplifier with one input and two outputs.
- jackEQ a tool for routing and manipulating audio from/to multiple input/output sources.
- JACK Rack a LADSPA effects rack for jack.
- JAMin the state-of-the-art realtime mastering processor.
- linuxDSP provides 'plugin' audio processing software for linux.
- Louderbox an 8 band audio processor.
- Rakarrack is a guitar effects processor that is easy to use, but it contains features that make it unique in this field of applications.
- RedFX is an effects processor mainly for guitars.
- Soundtank is a program that hosts musical instruments for you to play.
- tapiir is an audio effects processor inspired by the classical magnetic tape delay systems. Version 0.7.0 or above.
- Blender is the free open source 3D content creation suite. Currently, Blender 2.50a1 and above use Jack.
- fluxus is a graphical live coding environment for Scheme. Builds for Linux or OSX, and released under the GPL licence.
- Le Biniou is a program which creates images from sound, in an intelligent way.
- Sonify iterates pixel-by-pixel through an image, encoding each pixel's hue and luminance values as a waveform of a particular frequency and amplitude.
- VisualJackM lets you connect ProjectM to Jack.
- Freewheeling a live looping instrument.
- Giada is a free, minimal, hardcore audio tool for djs and live performers.
- Loopcenter is an easy-to-use live looper with functionality similar to the Boss LoopStation pedal. You can record and overdub at user-set tempos and meters.
- SooperLooper a live looping sampler capable of immediate loop recording, overdubbing, multiplying, reversing and more.
- AlsaPlayer a "new type of pcm player". Can play mp3s, oggs, cds, among other audio file formats. Thanks go to Andy Lo-A-Foe for releasing the first application with support for Jack!
- Aqualung It plays audio files from your filesystem and has the feature of inserting no gaps between adjacent tracks
- Audacious is a fork of beep-media-player 0.9.7.1
- Data Jockey is a digital disc jockey tool which leverages audio meta-data (both computed and manually added by the user) in order to allow for new approaches in content selection and juxtaposition.
- kluppe a gtk-based loop player for files and live-input.
- MadJack is an MPEG Audio Deck with an OSC based control interface.
- MOC Music On Console is a console audio player for LINUX/UNIX designed to be powerful and easy to use.
- MPlayer a movie player.
- Qmmp is a Qt-based media player with a similar UI as XMMS or Winamp.
- Tttrigger is a program for playing sound effects in connection with a theater or other show.
- veejay a visual 'music' instrument.
- VLC is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols.
- xmms-jack an XMMS audio output plugin for jack.
Metering and Analysis
- Baudline is a time-frequency browser designed for scientific visualization of the spectral domain.
- BRP-PACU is a dual channel FFT based acoustic analysis tool to help engineers configure professional sound systems by using the transfer function.
- Jaaa an audio signal generator and spectrum analyser.
- jack.* a collection of Jack utilities.
- JACK demolition a very simple jack client that connects to every input port and squirts undesirable numbers (denomals, HUGE, NaN, Inf etc.) to it.
- Jack Meter is a basic console based DPM (Digital Peak Meter).
- japa is a 'perceptual' or 'psychoacoustic' audio spectrum analyser.
- Loudspeaker Frequency Allocator is a 4-way, stereo DSP loudspeaker crossover that works with ASIO compatible multichannel sound cards on a Windows XP computer. Jack4win instructions can be found here.
- meterbridge a nice VU-style meter to watch signal levels on arbitrary JACK ports.
- Sonic Visualiser is an application for viewing and analysing the contents of music audio files.
- Tap Reverb Editor an interactive tool for room acoustics simulation.
- jack_mixer is a GTK+JACK audio mixer app with a look similar to its hardware counterpart. It has lots of useful features, apart from being able to mix multiple JACKaudio streams.
- JackMaster is a Master Console.
- JackMiniMix is a simple mixer with an OSC based control interface.
- JackMix is a Jack mixer.
- The Non Mixer is a powerful, reliable and fast modular Digital Audio Mixer.
Multi-track sequencers and HDR systems
- ardour a multichannel hard disk recorder and digital audio workstation.
- dino is a pattern based MIDI sequencer
- ecasound a "software package designed for multitrack audio processing". Check the original release announcement here.
- Jackbeat is an audio sequencer.
- LinuxBand is a GUI front-end for MMA (Musical MIDI Accompaniment). Type in the chords, choose the groove and LinuxBand will play a musical accompaniment for you.
- LMMS is a free cross-platform alternative to commercial programs like FL Studio®, which allow you to produce music with your computer.
- MusE a MIDI/Audio sequencer with recording and editing capabilities.
- OpenOctaveMidi is a linux-based classic midi/audio sequencer with a look and feel users will find in commercial equivalents.
- Qtractor is an Audio/MIDI multi-track sequencer application written in C++ around the Qt4 toolkit.
- Renoise is a contemporary digital audio workstation (DAW) based upon the heritage and development of tracker software. Its primary use is the composition of music using sound samples, soft synths, and effects plug-ins. It is also able to interface with MIDI equipment.
- Rosegarden a sophisticated MIDI (and audio) sequencer and notation editor
- The Non DAW is a powerful, reliable and fast modular Digital Audio Workstation system.
- The Non Sequencer is a powerful real-time, pattern-based MIDI sequencer for Linux.
- Traverso is a GPL licensed, cross platform multitrack audio recording and editing suite, with an innovative and easy to master User Interface. It's suited for both the professional and home user, who needs a robust and solid DAW.
- Wired a music production and creation software.
Music Notation Editors
- Denemo is a music notation editor that lets you rapidly enter notation for typesetting via the LilyPond music engraver. You can compose, transcribe, arrange, listen to the music and much more.
- Allegro a game programming library.
- Clam is a multiplatform software framework for research and application development for the Audio and Music domains.
- FAUST is a compiled language for real-time audio signal processing.
- jackcpp is a C++ class wrapping most of the jack client functionality, a "blocking" interface for jack and a template class wrapping the jack ring buffer.
- JJack Java bridge API for JACK.
- JNAJack an alternative Java bridge API for JACK. Provides a more direct mapping of JACK functions, and supports all platforms that JACK runs on.
- libjackasyn is a library that allows to access the jack audio server in asynchronous mode.
- libjackmm is a C++ interface to the jack audio connection kit.
- Pure Data is a real-time graphical programming environment for audio, video, and graphical processing.
- PyJack a Python module which provides an interface to Jack.
- Qjack allows you to connect Jack to QT very easily.
- RtAudio is a set of C++ classes that provide a common API (Application Programming Interface) for realtime audio input/output.
- Wine an application that lets you run and recompile Windows applications under Linux.
- ARAS is an open source radio automation system, it has been designed to be highly configurable and easy to manage. It uses JACK through GStreamer library, in both playback and recording.
- Internet DJ Console is an Internet radio app for making a live radio show or podcast.
- JMPX is a software-based FM stereo encoder.
- J-QAM is a QAM soundcard modem.
- Rivendell an audio automation system aimed at professional radio broadcasters.
Rottera Record of Transmission tool for radio, writes a new MP3 file every hour
- jack_capture is a small program to capture whatever sound is going out to your speakers into a file.
- JACK Timemachine an application that constantly records signals coming in on its inputs, waiting for you to press record. When you do it writes the last ten seconds to disk and keeps recording.
- meterec is a console based multi-track monitoring and recording tool. Focus on your instrument, not on the software!
- QARecord a simple but multithreaded stereo recording tool.
- QJackRcd is a simple stereo recorder for Jack with few features as silence processing for automatic pause, file splitting, background file post-processing.
Rottera Record of Transmission tool for radio, writes a new MP3 file every hour
- AlsaModularSynth a realtime modular synthesizer and effect processor. You will need version 1.5.3c or above.
- amSynth an analogue-modelling soft synth.
- arpage is a MIDI Arpeggiator w/ JACK Tempo Sync.
- CheeseTracker a portable Impulse Tracker clone.
- ClockLoop a very simple JACK application for playing back audio loops.
- CodeSounding is a java sonification library: the sound produced running a .class (or .jar) is a function of how was structured its source code before compilation. You can therefore produce computer-generated music.
- Csound5 is a sound and music synthesis system, providing facilities for composition and performance over a wide range of platforms.
- din is a software musical instrument and audio synthesizer.
- energyXT2 is a complete music studio. Commercial product with a free demo available.
- fastbreeder is an experimental genetic programming synthesiser.
- FluidSynth a real-time software synthesizer based on the Soundfont2 specifications.
- gAlan a modular synthesiser, drum-machine, sequencer and effects-unit. Version 0.3.0-test1 or above.
- Gneutronica a MIDI drum machine for Linux.
- Haruhi is a virtual analog audio synthesizer written in Qt.
- hearnet a simple granular synthesizer driven by your incoming network traffic.
- Horgand an organ synthesizer.
- Hydrogen a pattern based drum machine.
- ingen is a modular audio processing system for GNU/Linux audio systems using the Jack audio server and LV2, LADSPA or DSSI plugins.
- Jack Keyboard is a virtual MIDI keyboard - a program that allows you to send JACK MIDI events (play ;-) using your PC keyboard.
- Jacker is a MIDI tracker for Jack.
- jMax a visual programming environment for building interactive real-time musical and multimedia applications. Version 4.0.1 or above.
- LegaSynth an old chip/synthesizer emulator.
- LDrum a drum machine.
- LinuxSampler a software audio sampler.
- Midi Player Pro is the software you need to be able to play any kind of music in seconds with your fingertips. It uses libumidi20, which also uses Jack.
- Mx44 is a polyphonic multichannel midi realtime software synthesizer.
- Octavian a realtime software synthesizer.
- Pd a real-time music and multimedia environment.
- Pianoteq is a high-class virtual piano software offering superb dynamics, natural resonances and unique physical parameters. This is a commercial product.
- Phasex is an experimental software synthesizer.
- QMidiArp is a MIDI-Arpeggiator.
- QMIDICurves lets you change the velocity response of any MIDI device (like a MIDI keyboard for instance).
- reMID uses the reSID emulation library to provide a virtual SID based synthesizer, controllable in real-time via MIDI. SID was the sound chip used in the Commodore 64 computer.
- rtsynth a reliable, if plain, multi-oscillator synthesizer
- Seq24 a loop based MIDI sequencer
- Simsam a simple MIDI sample playback program
- Slag is a pattern-based audio sequencer that can currently be used as a simple drum box.
- Solfege s free music education software. Use it to train your rhythm, interval, scale and chord skills. Solfege - Smarten your ears!
- Soundtank a midi controlled host for softsynths made out of LADSPA plugins.
- Soundtracker a music tracker similar to FastTracker and ProTracker. Version 0.6.7pre1 or above.
- Specimen a midi controlled audio sampler.
- Spiral Synth Modular a cool and expandable modular synthesizer.
- SuperCollider a realtime sound synthesis server and an interpreted object oriented language.
- terminatorX a realtime audio synthesizer that allows you to "scratch".
- Timidity++ a software synthesizer. Jack support currently only in CVS.
- Virtual Keyboard is a simple fake of a MIDI keyboard on X-windows system.
- ZynAddSubFX a software synthesizer.
- ac3jack a tool for creating an AC-3 (Dolby Digital) multichannel stream from its JACK input ports.
- Darkice Live audio streamer.
- edcast is an Icecast/Shoutcast streamer.
- Llcon is an audio streaming application for musicians to play together in real-time over the internet.
- Free Music Instrument Tuner a... free music instrument tuner.
- tuneit a simple command-line instrument tuner.
- qjacktuner an instrument tuner for JACK.
- bio2jack a library that allows for simple porting of blocked io OSS/ALSA audio applications to Jack.
- FxEngine Framework simplifies the plugin architecture for the data flow processing.
- FxJackPack contains two plugins for the FxEngine framework which enables the recording and playback of sound through JACK.
- GLASHCtl is a simple applet for controlling the LASH Audio Session Handler.
- jack_convolve is a simple command line based, convolution engine for JACK.
- jack_snapshot is a little tool for storing/restoring jack connection states. Version 0.0.4 will compile with gcc-4.3+
- Jack-smf-utils is a set of two utilities - jack-smf-player and jack-smf-recorder.
- Jack-Tools is a collection of jack tools
- Lash is a session management system for JACK audio and ALSA MIDI applications.
- jass is a rather simple sampler application for jackd.
- jiss: Jack Interactive Sequencer Software.
- kontroll is a small utility to create midi cc messages from mouse position regardless of window focus
- LinABX Linabx can be used to get information about audibility and to train your ears in an audio-technical way.
- netjack Realtime audio transport over a generic IP network.
- Oscilloscope plugin with two channels, controllable trigger, time resolution, separate amplification and DC offset for both channels.
- polarbear is a tool for designing filters in the complex domain. Version 0.5.0 or above.
- QLoud a tool to measure loudspeaker frequency and step responses and distortions.
- QOscC is a highly flexible and configurable software Oscilloscope.
- sauditor is a sample auditor that is intended to be simple and quick to use.
- Silent Jack is a silence/dead air detector.
- Simple Sysexxer is a small tool to load, send, receive, save and request sysex data. It can be used to do backups of the memory contents of MIDI devices like synthesizers, MIDI controllers or effects processors.
- slat allows you to use your mouse to adjust pitch and volume by waving the pointer over the interface.
- SoundPatty is an efficient and fast sound (i.e. record) recognition software.
- Synthclone is a Qt-based application that can "clone" your MIDI-capable instruments. It does this by sending out MIDI data that instructs an instrument to emit sounds for a series of notes, velocities, controls, and aftertouch values. It then saves this data as a sample-based instrument that can be loaded by sampler software.
- KSubtile is a KDE program which provides an easy to use interface to edit subtitles in the SRT format. It supports moving, stretching and individual editing of subtitles in a file. To help you synchronize with a particular movie we provide GUI con
- LiVES is a Video Editing System. It is designed to be simple to use, yet powerful. It is small in size, yet it has many advanced features.
- Open Movie Editor is designed to be a simple tool, that provides basic movie making capabilities. It aims to be powerful enough for the amateur movie artist, yet easy to use.
- VideoJack a tool that reads video and audio signals from its jack inputs.
- xjadeo is a very simple video player that is synchronized to jack transport.
- Asterisk is the world’s leading open source telephony engine and tool kit. Offering flexibility unheard of in the world of proprietary communications, Asterisk empowers developers and integrators to create advanced communication solutions...for free.
- I Hear U is a Voice over IP (VoIP) application that creates an audio stream between two computers easily and with the minimal network traffic.
- fst is a program by which uses Wine, Jack and Steinberg's VST Audio Plug-Ins SDK to enable the use of many VST audio plugins under Gnu/Linux.
- FSTHOST is a linux VST host - hybrid using winelib. Runs as a Jack client for Audio/MIDI, and with GTK GUI.
- jost is a host for native linux vst plugins (jack / alsa_seq).
- Linux Vst Compatibility Page